Background

Sunday, February 11, 2018

I dont wanna forget this stuff

Liam came to me quietly during sacrament meeting, just after we had been passed the bread and sweetly bore his testimony to me for the first time. It was short and simply but I wanted the moment to last forever. He said he knew Jesus loved him and his family, he knew he had lived in heaven before and that he new that Heavenly Father wanted him to make good choices. He then insisted on going up to bear his testimony. I told him he just had and that he could go up when he was ready to go up alone but I was grateful for the chance to hear his budding beliefs.

The past few weeks, Liam had been on this 'anti-marriage" kick. every time we talked about familys or the future of marriage, he would detest and insist on never being married because, in his words " It's just not something that I do". I know better than to push the subject so I allowed him to have his opinion and tried to not take it as a reflection upon Chad and I that he seemed to hate matrimony so much. At church, I had a few sisters approach me giggling, saying that Liam cracked them up during sharing time (thats pretty normal) but they said that during a discussion about eternal families, liam had raised his hand and told everyone that he never wanted to get married. Naturally the teacher insisted he would change his mind someday which just frustrated him. He had made up his mind, he wanted to be a dad but...no wife.
   My grandpa passed away and I gathered my babies on the couch to cuddle and talk about what it meant to die and how the funeral would take place. It was a sacred discussion and I watch lights turn on in Liams eyes. He was initially scared, saying "When will my body be too told to work good?" and "How old are YOU?!" I assured him that death was not a frequent friend of ours and we would only taste it when God needed us more in heaven than he needs us here. Throughout the day, he approached me with different questions, mainly about why Great-grandpa wouldn't be coming back, i explained that that coming weekend, our job was to love grandma. I told him that Grandpa and grandma had been friends for longer than I had been alive and that they loved each other greater than we can know. I said, she'll see him again in heaven but she's going to miss him for a while, they were best friends and she's never really been without him. He seemed to really understand that.
   As i drove him to preschool, he was reverent and pensive. I asked what he was thinking about and he replied firmly. "Mom, I actually want to get married someday!" I was jumping inside but I coolly responded, "Oh yeah? What changed your mind?" He replied I wanna have a life with someone someday, I wanna have kids and call them our children and have a wife and a best friend." I was shook by his mature and profound response but I responded with a, "That would make me so happy Liam!" I cant help but think that my amazing grandparents have inspired rightous traditions in my sons heart through thier happy marriage and sweet influence in his life.



No comments:

Post a Comment